Tuesday 1 March 2011

Wednesday January 12th 2011– If you knew what I knew.

Dear Tree, today I made a discovery. Yes, in fact, I unearthed a brand new species of lie. However, it’s not a find that I can take any credit for, as I happened upon this formerly unknown creature when I was somewhere I wasn’t supposed to be.
I hate to be so cryptic, but I haven’t decided what, if anything, I am going to do about it yet. It’s a sticky one, but I’m sure most people would actually recognise it.
Have you ever been annoyed with someone but you can’t let them know or they’ll be annoyed with you? Or more precisely they will be annoyed with someone else for slipping up? Ever read an Email that wasn’t for you? Regardless of how it fell into your hands the higher part of you knows not to read it. Sometimes you don’t, but more interestingly sometimes you do...
Some years ago, when I worked for a company in Hazlet there was a swarming plague of these little whoopsies. Snippets of ‘Need to Know’ information were buzzing around the office, bounding like nits from one lowered head to another. This nasty infestation brought S.S.S. or Shoddy Shed Services Ltd, to a temporary standstill.
The unpleasant outbreak had all started with one unforgivably stupid decision. The decision to allow my bustling friend Sonja to cover HR. Rooting through all of the personnel files would have been the ultimate temptation for poor Sonja and anyone who has ever spent more than 30 seconds in her company would know this. Somehow the HR Manager, the Sales Manager and the General Manager all failed to consider this, despite the fact that they had all worked with Sonja for more than 10 years.
Sonja is marvellous in many ways. She’s warm, funny and generous. Yet, Sonja is also a great big fat gossip. Sonja’s make-up is always immaculately plastered all over her face, but there is not even the faintest hint of subtlety or tact in her brazen lippy.  
Anyway, we all soon got bored of scratching our scalps and eventually did get back to work.  Well, for a few months anyway, as Shoddy Shed Services Ltd closed its creaking doors for good only 10 months later. Coincidence? Well of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment