Tuesday 1 March 2011

Monday January 17th 2011 – Waiting for Spring? Just get on with it.

Today was pretty productive, but not as successful as I would have liked. Sometimes I wonder, Tree, if like you I am in a state of semi-hibernation, just snoozing and waiting for the Spring. The thing is I really need to spring into action or by the time Spring actually boings back around...well, I’ll be even further behind.
The trick is being able to keep a competitive distance, well, that is if you want to have any chance of winning the race. I used to swim for the county as a child and I often remember what my swimming coach use to say, ‘It’s easier to go faster when you have someone out in front of you.’
When we were training and trying to improve on our race times, he would always rotate the lead swimmer. This was so that everyone got a chance to ‘chase’.
The thing is, that if you pushed yourself hard enough you could actually catch the girl in front of you. It was possible, but only just. I managed it once and was dizzy with elation as I walked back jelly-legged to the changing-rooms. My coach was pleased, but what impressed him more was the time that I beat my personal best when I was the lead swimmer. So perhaps it’s best just to get on with it and if you’re out in front... well, just stay there!

No comments:

Post a Comment